Category Archive: Beauty
Subcategories: No categories
I am fighting a nasty little cold today. Thank you to my dear hubby for sharing! LOL The part that I like the least about it is that I decided not to go to the nursing home to visit Mom for their party today. I just don’t think it’s a great idea to expose her or anybody else.
But I made it to class Friday before I really started feeling bad. I thought I’d share a few crazy antics with you!
And the outfit and the mani up close. The nails are indie Chirality Nail Polish Katydid (2 coats) topped with Pure Ice Emerald Crush. I’ve had the combo on my nails (no base coat, but buffed nails, and my topcoat I get locally) since Thursday night. They are still doing really well!
And just a few that I liked I came across on the internet!
And don’t forget to check my SoFlaJo Facebook Page today for giveaways of SoFlajo full-sized bottles of Fields of Clover Nail Polish!
Moving sale! eBay nail polish auction ends TODAY (3/11)! Chanel Butter London Tokidoki Hello Kitty Disney Julep OPI China Glaze Zoya
- Mama Fashionista: Quinn of Mama Fashionista has been on a roll with Lavanila lately! Find out what product she’s raving about now!
- Beyond Beauty Lounge: DIY Gentle Eyemakeup Remover.
- Lola’s Secret Beauty Blog: Burberry Sheer Eye Shadows boast astounding quality and the shades are truly lovely, but Midnight Plum No. 19 is utterly sublime.
- Emily Hudspeth, hair design and makeup artist: Reviva Lab Instant Line Smoother. Makes a Great Makeup Primer!
- Makeup Demon: Makeup project: “Business makeup interpretation“.
- Beauty Fiends: Looking for an effective but gentle clay mask? The Mario Badescu Flower & Tonic mask might be for you!
- My Newest Addiction Beauty Blog: Laura from My Newest Addiction Beauty Blog shares her reviews on Mario Badescu products for Combination/Oily/Acne-Prone skin!
- Rachel’s Makeup and Skincare: Rachel tries many of the new Nars products to come out including the new setting powder, concealer, and tinted moisturizer.
- Cult of Taupe: Get ready for beauty bootcamp with Beauty Army and the Whip Hand Cosmetics Camo Collection.
- TheFabZilla: I met Matt(e) Nude and I’m ready to kiss and tell!
- The Convenient Beauty: Excellent as it could be as a setting powder, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light fails short for the magical lighting correction as promised.
- DeyiMizu: Is the L’Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream a fail?
- Très Beau Glamour: Check out part 1 of Nay’s Spring 2013 Makeup Trends to see what looks are soon to be in.
- Polarbelle: Polarbelle reviews the premiere issue of Nail It! Magazine & gives you a sneak peek of what’s inside.
- Baking Beauty: Does Kate Somerville’s Dscar Scar Diminishing Serum really work?
- Lisa’s Nail Obsession: Are you ready for spring? Pansies will give you spring fever.
- Lipgloss Break: Angela shares her favorite eyeshadow primers to keep her eye makeup in place!
- Liesl Loves Pretty Things: Non, je ne regrette rien. Liesl loves Zoya Piaf, and shares why you should, too.
- Beauty by Miss L: Check out Miss L´s black & golden manicure.
- Beauty Professor: Springtime is here! The Beauty Professor tries a host of Pastel Power products from the fabulous Lise Watier line!
- SoFlaJo: New Revlon Moon Candy Nail Polish Review.
- Beauty with a Twist: Take a walk on the wild side, with this ocelot-inspired cat-eye!
Today I was snooping around Walgreens looking for any Sinful Colors I had missed a couple weeks ago when they were on sale for 99c each. This week they are 4/$5 with 1000 points back on a $5 purchase. But it looks like I either had everything they did or they didn’t get any new displays in, so I just kept shopping.
I walked past the Revlon display and saw all the Moon Candy which look like they might be on a permanent display. But something looked amiss. If you recall back in July 2012 when they were first issued I had purchased them and put up some of the first swatches here. At that time there were 8 in the collection, but there had always been mention of additional ones being released later in the year. However I never saw any fanfare from any other bloggers or in my nail polish groups, so I just assumed it never happened. But apparently it did, because this display had 10 polishes in it and 2 were definitely not ones I had gotten before. Oh how I loved my iPhone at that moment as I pulled it out and pulled up that original post to see which ones were added.
The two colors I didn’t have were Eclipse, a beautiful pink with purple flakies and a burgundy base.
And Meteor, a mint green with shamrock green and gold flakes and a dark olive drab base.
Both base formulas applied easily. I used 2 coats before applying a single coat of the flakies. Eclipse didn’t seem to pick up as much flakie as I’d like but the purple flakes are beautiful. On the other hand, Meteor soaked up loads of green and gold flakes. But I wanted to experiment as I had naked nails to play on. So I applied the burgundy base on my pinkie and middle fingers, and the green base on my ring and index fingers. I then applied Eclipse on my pinkie and ring fingers, and Meteor on my middle and index fingers.
And just for the heck of it I applied 2 coats of the dark green base to my thumb and applied 1 coat of Sinful Colors Green Ocean over it for comparison. I’ve heard a lot of people say Green Ocean is gloppy and icky. But I gotta tell you both of my bottles (which were received as gifts a year ago) apply just fine and are really dense! And BLUE! All my pictures are taken with my iPhone 4S and colors are only as accurate as it can capture. Also monitors might show colors in slightly different degrees.
OK but here’s the clincher. I didn’t buy the Revlons at Walgreen. They weren’t having any sales and I didn’t want to spend $10 on those little 1/4 oz bottles! So I stopped at CVS and not only did they also have the display, but when I scanned my Reward card I got a $3 coupon off $10 of Revlon products. But wait, there’s more! The Moon Candy are on Bogo 50% this week at CVS. But wait, there’s even more! There were $1 Revlon coupons on the front Revlon display so I grabbed 2 of them and used them as well, which got me one polish for free after all the discounts had been taken!
I’m just a sucker for flakies, holos and duos, and I rarely pass any of them. Although the Revlons aren’t as dense and the bottles aren’t anywhere near as large as most of my polishes, I’m still glad I’ve got them in my collection. And whenever I wear them I do get plenty of compliments. So if you’re looking to add to your Revlon Moon Candy collection and you have a CVS or a friend with one, get your hands on them before midnight Saturday!
Do you have any of these and how do you like them?
FREE SHIPPING Thru Monday 2/18
Soflajo on Etsy OR SoFlaJo.com. $20 minimum order. DOMESTIC only (sorry no intl). Enter code PRESIDENT2013 on either site.
- Beyond Beauty Lounge: How to clean & dry your makeup brushes .
- Confessions of a Sarcastic Mom: Check out an orange gloss and a lip pencil Destany got from Sephora!
- Lola’s Secret Beauty Blog: If you are looking to add retinol into your skincare routine, then Lola’s Secret Beauty Blog enthusiastically recommends FutureDerm Time Release Retinol 0.50!
- Adore A Polish: Check out Kristina’s updated daily makeup essentials.
- Emily Hudspeth, hair design and makeup artist: Must Have Products for Winter Beauty.
- Ishah x Beauty: Think nail art is too hard? Anyone can do it with this easy tutorial using metallic markers!
- TheFabZilla: Do you wear glasses? TheFabZilla got some tips for ya!
- Lacquer Buzz: A dreamy pastel baby blue. Illamasqua Caress is perfection!
- Cosmetics Aficionado: MAC Ronnie Red lipstick is a hot seller, enter to win this sold out lipstick!
- Très Beau Glamour: Looking for a nice makeup look for Valentine’s Day that utilizes purples and pinks? Check out Nay’s “Spontaneous Love” makeup tutorial; a beautiful night time look for that special day.
- Pinked Polish: Six Swatches from the New China Glaze Avant Garden Collection!!!! In LOVE!!!!
- Liesl Loves Pretty Things: LIesl loves OPI Euro Centrale! Check out one of her favorite shades and why you need that wierd gold one.
- Makeup Demon: Photoshoot and makeup idea for Valentine’s day.
- My Newest Addiction Beauty Blog: Laura from My Newest Addiction Beauty Blog reviews Anastasia Beverly Hills Bold and Beautiful Kit!
- The Glossy Pages by gloss48: Share your favorite, hard-to-find/indie products with gloss48!
- Rachel’s Makeup and Skincare: Rachel tries out La Licious Bath and Body Collection in their new Valentine’s Day Scent and finds she is in love!
- Mama Fashionista: Jump Start your Spring Routine with L’Occitane!
- Love At First Site!: J.Lo.’s look at the Golden Globes. Do it yourself!
- SoFlaJo: Happy Valentine’s Day Loves!
- Beauty Professor: Forever a nude lipstick lover, The Beauty Professor tries Dolce and Gabbana’s Mandorla, the perfect blend of beige and pink!
- Cult of Taupe: Can Hard Candy Fox in a Box Blushes hold a candle to Benefit Boxed Powders?
Happy Valentine’ Day all my loves! I haven’t done any freehand nail art in a loooong time obviously. Spent a little while last night on this watching TV. I used Bonita nail polish which I’ve never found anywhere but Ross. And the nail art polish from the drugstore. I have so many brands and colors I don’t remember now which this is other than a pearly white.
Next up is VD pkgs for our girls – Samantha, Jess and Tina. Yep. Once they are adults and out on their own you gotta bribe em to come visit! Lol. The bags are filled with goodies from Ulta. The polish/lip gloss bags are from Ross as well. Never heard of the brand – Cranky Girlz – but it fits perfectly! Lmao
This is my Mom’s VD bag I’ll take today to the nursing home. The fake roses will last so I chose them over real bc she has no way to take care of them. The bag is filled with Valentine socks, candy, slim Jim’s, and some other goodies. I’ll tie the balloons to her wheelchair.
The other bag is goodie bags she asked me to make to hand out at their party today. Pencils, stickers, candy, and a wand for everyone because we all need a little magic in our lives!
And last but not least – Joe’s gift. He’s the avid Wizard of Oz collector! I was so happy my nail supply gave me a display, but of course I bought the polishes! The look on Joe’s face this morning when he came downstairs was priceless. He knew about the Collex bc we’ve discussed it since it was first promo’d.
And tonight we’ll be going out to dinner at Catfish Dewey’s for all U can eat Stone Crabs! We always go once a season and saved it for tonight this time! I can’t wait to make a total pig of myself on them!
Have a Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
Oops I have an update! Joe just surprised me with chocolates from Jimmie’s! Wow that’s so neat. They are a little chocolate shop and cafe here that makes their own chocolates. We’ve always meant to stop there and eat but never have. But now that I’ve FINALLY tasted their chocolates I’m gonna bug Joe to go there sometime and eat, too!
Let’s call this Fat Tuesday Fun
Mardi Gras Mani!
No I’m not going to Mardi Gras but I love the celebration and the colors. I’ve been on Curacao to celebrate Carnival and in the Big Easy to celebrate Mardi Gras in previous years. But this year I’m just home in little ole’ Fort Lauderdale!
But alas, with Valentine’s Day in just two more days, this one will come off tomorrow! Sigh
Have a great day!
IMPORTANT SHIPPING NOTICE
The US Post Office will have New HIGHER Shipping Rates Jan 27. I will be changing my shipping prices at that time as well. Orders placed by January 22nd will still be shipped at the current rate.
NEW YEAR – NEW LABELS!
I am in the process of changing my labels and will be discounting many of the current polishes in my etsy shop that have the old labels on them. Normally $10, the ones that I have left with old labels will be $7. Stock is limited on many of them, and not all of them are included. There are some mini sets included!
As always – Complete sets in mini and full size have discounted shipping prices.
Watch Over Me – A Very Special Nail Polish for a Very Special Little Girl – Catherine Hubbard of Newtown, CT
Watch Over Me is a warm olive green polish with a golden glow that shimmers in the light. I created this polish as a tribute to Catherine Hubbard from Newtown, CT, a sweet little red-haired girl with a love for animals who was just 6 years old when she was killed during the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012. She dreamed of opening her own animal shelter and her parents have asked for donations to be made in her memory to The Newtown Animal Center. I will donate 100% of the profits from the sale of every bottle of this polish to them in her memory. Bottles are available in full size only. Thank you for your donations.
WATCH OVER ME 15ml $10.00 each BUY NOW
Bases Tinted with Natural Pigments and Micas
All Natural Micro-Glitters
All SoFlaJo polishes are made from natural pigments and glitters with bases free of the chemicals Toluene, Formaldehyde and Dibutyl Phthalate and Formaldehyde Resin. SoFlaJo Polishes use stainless steel mixing balls (and always have).
Each bottle comes attractively packaged and protectively bubble wrapped.